:: Supply List ::
Plein Air Painting Class
- Portable Easel:
(French easel, pochade box, etc.). I use an 11″ x 14″ pochade box made by Open Box M mounted on a Sirui T-2005X tripod with a Manfrotto 3229 head. Click here to read my review of the Open Box M. (Open Box M offers my students a 10% discount. Contact me for the coupon code for use on their website.)
- Canvas Panels:
I recommend using cotton or linen panels from 6″ x 8″ up to 12″ x 16″. Bring 2 panels each day. (Please don’t bring stretched canvas since light can easily shine through it from behind.) If you’re interested in making your own canvas panels, see how I make mine.
You can purchase high-quality canvas panels from:
• Ray Mar
- Hog Bristle Flats, sizes #2, #4, #6, #8. (Make sure they’re “Flats” and not “Brights.”) The brand doesn’t really matter as long as the bristles don’t fall out too easily. I am currently using Creative Mark Pro Stroke hog bristle flats, available here.
- (Optional) Soft Badger Hair Flats, sizes #2, #4. I use Rosemary & Co. Master’s Choice Long Flats, Series 279, available here (U.K.) and here (U.S.).
- Paint (oils):
These are the palette colors I am currently using. You may get them all if you wish, but you should at least bring colors that are as close as possible to the first six. (I recommend M. Graham & Co. oil colors, but any brand is permissible.)
- Titanium White
- Bismuth Yellow (or Cadmium Lemon)
- Anthraquinone Red (or Alizarin Permanent)
- Ultramarine Blue
- Ivory Black
The following colors are optional, but I may use some of them: Cadmium Yellow, Yellow Ochre, Cadmium Orange, Transparent Red Iron Oxide, Cobalt Blue, Dioxazine Purple
- Odorless mineral spirits (Gamsol or Turpenoid), no turpentine products, please.
- Brush washing container
- Palette for mixing paint
- Palette knife for cleaning palette
- Paper towels
- Trash bag for used paper towels
- Small sketchpad and pencil
- Rain jacket
- Drinking Water
- (Optional) ViewCatcher viewing tool
- (Optional) RayMar wet panel carrier for safely carrying your finished paintings
- (Optional) An umbrella is helpful on bright, hot or rainy days. I recommend the Umbrella Kit from Easy-L