: : Supply List : :
Plein Air Painting Class
Contact me with questions.
Ojai’s art supply store, Ojai Creates, carries many of the items on this list. They will give you a 10% discount if you mention that you’re taking my class.
- Portable Easel:
(French easel, pochade box, etc.). I use an 11″ x 14″ pochade box made by Open Box M mounted on a Sirui T-2005X tripod with a Manfrotto 496RC2 head. Click here to read my review of the Open Box M. (Open Box M offers my students a 10% discount. Contact me for the coupon code for use on their website.)
- Canvas Panels:
I recommend using cotton or linen panels from 6″ x 8″ up to 12″ x 16″. Bring 2 panels each day. (Please don’t bring stretched canvas since light can easily shine through it from behind.) If you’re interested in making your own canvas panels, see how I make mine.
You can purchase high-quality canvas panels from:
- I have a brush set available for purchase from Trekell.com or you can bring something similar to what’s listed below.
- Hog Bristle Flats, sizes #2, #4, #6, #8. I use Trekell Hog Bristle Long Flats, series 400LF.
- Synthetic Mongoose Flats, sizes 1/8”, 1/4”, 3/8”. I use Trekell Legion Long Grainer, series 9099L.
- Paint (oils):
These are the palette colors I am currently using. You may get them all if you wish, but please at least bring colors that are as close as possible to the first six. (I recommend M. Graham & Co. oil colors, but any brand is permissible.)
- Titanium White
Bismuth Yellow (or Cadmium Lemon)(You will receive a free tube of bismuth yellow)
- Yellow Ochre
- Anthraquinone Red (or Alizarin Permanent)
- Ultramarine Blue
- Odorless mineral spirits (Gamsol or Turpenoid), no turpentine products, please.
- Brush washing container
- Palette for mixing paint
- Palette knife for cleaning palette
- Paper towels
- Trash bag for used paper towels
- Small sketchpad and pencil
- Rain jacket
- Drinking Water
- (Optional) ViewCatcher viewing tool
- (Optional) RayMar wet panel carrier for safely carrying your finished paintings
- (Optional) Umbrella Kit from Easy-L for hot or rainy days