: : Supply List : :
Workshop: The Figure in the Landscape
Contact me with questions.
Portable easel of some type (French easel, pochade box, etc.). I use an 11″ x 14″ pochade box made by Open Box M (read my review of the Open Box M). (Open Box M offers a 10% discount to my students. Contact me for the coupon code.)
- Canvas Panels:
I recommend using cotton or linen panels from 6” x 8” up to 12” x 16”. (Please don’t bring stretched canvas since light can easily shine through it from behind.) If you’re interested in making your own canvas panels, see how I make mine.
You can also purchase high-quality canvas panels from:
• Ray Mar
- Hog Bristle Flats, sizes #2, #4, #6, #8. (Make sure they’re “Flats” and not “Brights.”) The brand doesn’t really matter as long as the bristles don’t fall out too easily. I am currently using Creative Mark Pro Stroke brushes, available here.
- (Optional) Soft Flats, sizes #2, #4. I use Rosemary & Co. Long Flats, Series 279, available here.
- Paint (oils):
These are the palette colors I am currently using. You may get them all if you wish, but you should at least bring colors that are as close as possible to the first six. (I recommend M. Graham & Co. oil colors, but any brand is permissible.)
- Titanium White
- Cadmium Yellow
- Anthraquinone Red (or Alizarin Permanent)
- Ultramarine Blue
- Ivory Black
The following colors are optional, but I will probably use most of them: Hansa Yellow (or Cadmium Lemon), Yellow Ochre, Cadmium Orange, Transparent Red Iron Oxide, Cobalt Blue, Dioxazine Purple
- Photo References:
- Bring 5-10 photos of figures in the landscape (we will choose one or two for you to paint while we are indoors). Photos should be viewable on your tablet or laptop, or printed (at least 8″ x 10″ prints, if possible).
- Odorless mineral spirits (Gamsol or Turpenoid.) No turpentine products, please.
- Brush washing container
- Palette for mixing paint
- Palette knife for cleaning palette
- Paper towels
- Trash bag for used paper towels
- Small sketchpad and pencil
- Rain jacket
- Insect Repellant
- Drinking Water
- (Optional) ViewCatcher viewing tool
- (Optional) An umbrella is helpful on bright, hot or rainy days. I recommend the Umbrella Kit from Easy-L