: : Supply List : :
Workshop: High-Key Figure in the Landscape
Sentient Academy • Provo, Utah
It will be best if you can bring your own portable easel of some type (French easel, pochade box, etc). I will be using a pochade box made by Open Box M (their website is OpenBoxM.com). If you don’t have a portable easel, Sentient Academy may have a few available for use (contact Sentient if needed).
You may work larger if you like, but I recommend:
• Four 6”x8” or 8”x10” (for our plein air work and studio studies)
• Two 12”x16” or 16”x20” (for our studio paintings)
• You can find my brush set at Trekell.com or use whatever brushes you’re comfortable with.
• Hog Bristle Flats, sizes #2, #4, #6, #8. I use Trekell Hog Bristle Long Flats, series 400LF.
• Synthetic Mongoose Flats, sizes 1/8”, 1/4”, 3/8”. I use Trekell Legion Long Grainer, series 9099L.
Bring colors that are as close as possible to the first seven listed below. I recommend M. Graham & Co. oil colors, but other brands are acceptable.
1. Titanium White
2. Bismuth Yellow (or Cadmium Lemon)
3. Yellow Ochre
4. Anthraquinone Red (or Permanent Alizarin Crimson)
6. Ultramarine Blue
7. Ivory Black
The following colors are optional, but I will probably use some of them: Cadmium Yellow, Cadmium Orange, Cadmium Red, Transparent Red Iron Oxide, Dioxazine Purple
• I will provide reference photos for you to choose from to paint during the workshop. (Details to come.)
• Odorless mineral spirits (Gamsol or Turpenoid).
• Brush washing container
• Palette for mixing paint
• Palette knife for cleaning palette
• Paper towels
• Trash bag for used paper towels
• Small sketchpad and pencil
• Hat, Sunscreen, Drinking Water (for the outdoor portion of the workshop)
• (Optional) Umbrella Kit from Easy-L (for the outdoor portion of the workshop)
• (Optional) RayMar wet panel carrier for safely carrying your wet paintings