: : Supply List : :
Plein Air Painting Workshop
- Portable Easel:
(French easel, pochade box, etc.). I use an 11″ x 14″ pochade box made by Open Box M mounted on a Sirui T-2005X tripod with a Manfrotto 496RC2 head. Click here to read my review of the Open Box M.
- Canvas Panels:
I recommend using cotton or linen panels from 6″ x 8″ up to 12″ x 16″. Bring 4 panels each day. (Please don’t bring stretched canvas since light can easily shine through it from behind.) If you’re interested in making your own canvas panels, see how I make mine.
You can purchase high-quality canvas panels from:
• I will have 8″ x 10″ SourceTek linen panels available for purchase at $10 each
- Hog Bristle Flats, sizes #2, #4, #6, #8. (Make sure they’re “Flats” and not “Brights.”) The brand doesn’t really matter as long as the bristles don’t fall out too easily. I am currently using Creative Mark Pro Stroke hog bristle flats, available here.
- (Optional) Rosemary & Co. Master’s Choice Long Flats, Series 279, sizes #2, #4, #6, #8. I use available here (U.K.) and here (U.S.).
- Paint (oils):
These are the palette colors I am currently using. You may get them all if you wish, but please at least bring colors that are as close as possible to the first six. (I recommend M. Graham & Co. oil colors, but any brand is permissible.)
- Titanium White
- Bismuth Yellow (or Cadmium Lemon)
- Yellow Ochre
- Anthraquinone Red (or Alizarin Permanent)
- Ultramarine Blue
(The following colors are optional, but I may use some of them: Cadmium Yellow, Cadmium Orange, Transparent Red Iron Oxide, Cobalt Blue, Dioxazine Purple, Ivory Black)
- Odorless mineral spirits (Gamsol or Turpenoid), no turpentine products, please.
- Brush washing container
- Palette for mixing paint
- Palette knife for cleaning palette
- Paper towels
- Trash bag for used paper towels
- Small sketchpad and pencil
- Rain jacket
- Drinking Water
- (Optional) ViewCatcher viewing tool
- (Optional) RayMar wet panel carrier for safely carrying your finished paintings
- (Optional) Umbrella Kit from Easy-L for hot or rainy days