: : Supply List : :
Workshop: Plein Air to Studio Landscape
Portable easel of some type (French easel, pochade box, etc.). I use an 11″ x 14″ pochade box made by Open Box M (read my review of the Open Box M). (Open Box M offers a 10% discount to my students. Contact me for the coupon code.) My pochade box mounts onto a Sirui T-2005X model tripod with a Manfrotto 3229 head.
- Canvas Panels:
For plein air painting the first two days of the workshop, I recommend using cotton or linen panels from 6″ x 8″ up to 12″ x 16″. Bring 4 panels each day. (Please don’t bring stretched canvas since light can easily shine through it from behind.) If you’re interested in making your own canvas panels, see how I make mine.
You can also purchase high-quality canvas panels from:
• Ray Mar
For my larger studio painting demonstration on day three of the workshop, I will probably work on a 16″ x 20″ or 18″ x 24″ canvas panel. You may bring whatever size canvas you would like that day, and it can be a stretched canvas or canvas panel.
- Hog Bristle Flats, sizes #2, #4, #6, #8. (Make sure they’re “Flats” and not “Brights.”) The brand doesn’t really matter as long as the bristles don’t fall out too easily. I am currently using Creative Mark Pro Stroke brushes, available here.
- (Optional) Soft Flats, sizes #2, #4. I use Rosemary & Co. Long Flats, Series 279, available here.
- Paint (oils):
These are the palette colors I am currently using. You may get them all if you wish, but you should at least bring colors that are as close as possible to the first six. (I recommend M. Graham & Co. oil colors, but any brand is permissible.) Try to avoid the cheaper student-grade paints which are mostly fillers and oils and don’t contain much pigment, meaning that your colors will be more difficult to mix cleanly and brilliantly.
- Titanium White
- Cadmium Yellow
- Anthraquinone Red (or Alizarin Permanent)
- Ultramarine Blue
- Ivory Black
The following colors are optional, but I will probably use most of them: Bismuth Yellow (or Cadmium Lemon), Yellow Ochre, Cadmium Orange, Transparent Red Iron Oxide, Cobalt Blue, Dioxazine Purple
- Bring a lunch with you or drive to nearby restaurants
- Gamsol odorless mineral spirits (made by Gamblin). No turpentine products, please.
- Brush washing container
- Palette for mixing paint
- Palette knife for cleaning palette
- Paper towels
- Trash bag for used paper towels
- Small sketchpad and pencil
- Rain jacket
- Insect Repellant
- Drinking Water
- (Optional) ViewCatcher viewing tool
- (Optional) An umbrella is helpful on bright, hot or rainy days. I recommend the Umbrella Kit from Easy-L
- (Optional) RayMar wet panel carrier for safely carrying your finished paintings