: : Supply List : :
Workshop: Portrait Painting in Oil
Portable easel of some type (French easel, pochade box, etc.). I use an 11″ x 14″ pochade box made by Open Box M (read my review of the Open Box M). (Open Box M offers a 10% discount to my students. Contact me for the coupon code.) **The workshop location will have a few easels available for use.
- Canvas Panels:
Bring 2 canvases each day. I recommend cotton or linen canvases in sizes 8” x 10” up to 12” x 16”. If you’re interested in making your own canvas panels, see how I make mine.
You can also purchase high-quality canvas panels from:
• Ray Mar
- Hog Bristle Flats, sizes #2, #4, #6, #8. (Make sure they’re “Flats” and not “Brights.”) The brand doesn’t really matter as long as they’re not so cheap that the bristles fall out too easily. I am currently using Creative Mark Pro Stroke brushes, available here.
- (Optional) Soft Flats, sizes #2, #4. I use Rosemary & Co. Long Flats, Series 279, available here.
- Paint (oils):
These are the palette colors I am currently using. You may get them all if you wish, but you should at least bring colors that are as close as possible to the first five. I recommend M. Graham & Co. oil colors, but any brand is permissible. Try to avoid the cheaper student-grade paints which are mostly fillers and oils and don’t contain much pigment, meaning that your colors will be more difficult to mix cleanly and brilliantly.
- Titanium White
- Cadmium Yellow
- Cadmium Red
- Ultramarine Blue
- Ivory Black
The following colors are optional, but I will probably use most of them: Bismuth Yellow (or Cadmium Lemon), Yellow Ochre, Cadmium Orange, Viridian, Anthraquinone Red (or Permanent Alizarin Crimson), Transparent Red Iron Oxide, Dioxazine Purple
- Photo References:
- Bring several portrait photo options (we will choose one or two for you to paint for part of the workshop). Photos should be viewable on your tablet or laptop, or printed (at least 8″ x 10″ prints, if possible).
- Bring a lunch with you or drive to nearby restaurants
- Gamsol odorless mineral spirits (made by Gamblin). No turpentine products, please.
- Brush washing container
- Palette for mixing paint
- Palette knife for cleaning palette
- Paper towels
- Trash bag for used paper towels
- Small sketchpad and pencil
- Hat, Sunscreen, Drinking Water (in case we set up a portrait outside)
- (Optional) ViewCatcher viewing tool
- (Optional) RayMar wet panel carrier for safely carrying your finished paintings